January 19, 2009

Today I went to a funeral of a 15 year old girl from parents ward. I went to high school with her sister Mellisa. Meg was such a beautiful girl who had such an incredible light about her. At the funeral when the family walks in and the congregation stands, I couldn't help but cry( and in a twisted and i'm sorry if this sounds horrible) and i couldn't help but feel so grateful that this was not my family and not us walking in behind the casket. I cried the moment I walked into the chapel. I feel so much sadness for this family, but in their hardship all they could talk about was how much peace and comfort they felt from the Lord. Instead of writing talks each sibling wrote a letter to their sister telling her about memories they remember about how great of an example she was to them, of her life changing light she had, or her faith. I didn't know her very well, but from what they were saying made me want to get to know the savior in the same way she knew him. President Monson came to her funeral. He said he read her obituary in the paper and had the spirit testify to him that he needed to be there. He gave a beautiful talk. He talked about paradise and how she is with heavenly father and she is ok. He talked about how in lives challenges we don't ask what if or why or how come. The lord knows us better then we know ourselves. Having lost a loved one it's so hard to not ask the why's or what if's. I feel like i have so much to learn from this sweet family. They are so brave. I wish I could be that brave. I wish I could have taught people to see and feel christs light. I wish i could have helped people the way that family helped me. It's funny how when people go through something so tragic and painful they are the ones who help the rest of us feel comforted. Megan's mom sylvie said that when they were looking for her while they were skiing she knew something had happened to her daughter, but she felt so much peace inside. And her dad found her and they both felt peace and that when she hit the tree she felt no pain. I am so thankful for the comfort and love the savior brings to people in times of sadness and pain. I am so grateful that familys are forever. I feel so lucky to have the gospel and to have the knowledge that he lives, he loves us, he knows us, and he will take care of us! I feel so lucky to know that my brother and sister are waiting in paradise for us with open arms. I think at times like these it gives us an opportunity to tell everyone in our life that we love them. The people in my life deserve to know that i'm grateful for you. I am grateful for your friendship and love. I'm lucky to know you. Tell someone in your life today you care about them. Because if you don't do it today sometimes there isn't a tomorrow.

2 comments:

Jill said...

Hey Erica! I'm so glad you found my blog and that now I have yours and I can keep up with your life! You're darling and I'm glad that you guys are so happy :) I see you're going private, so add me! jillhaycock@gmail.com

Tess said...

you my friend are seriously a dream and i love you to pieces. so glad i finally got around to blog stalking and came across this special little message. tell your mom i love her and make paul fall in love with me already