January 22, 2012

Hives really?

So yesterday was just like any typical saturday. Braydon went to study and Sawyer and I got up and of course he wanted waffles and strawberries... his favorite lately. So around 10:45 I changed his bum and he had a little rash that just looked like his diaper might have been irritating him a little bit. So i put a little cream on it and really didn't think anything else of it. Well, I changed him a little while later and the rash had gotten bigger and went to the other side of his leg. So I called braydon while studying and he just said keep an eye on it. well 12:30 came around and he had pooped so i went to change him and the rash had turned into small penny shaped circles that were lifted off the skin and so I decided to take his clothes off and check him. he had small dots and some penny sized dots on his chest and back. At this point I had a little bit of a melt down because we both have been sick for two weeks and things just haven't really been looking up. And now he has this rash. So I thought maybe chicken pox, but at the same time it didn't really look like chicken pox, but it was certainly possible because his little immune system has been so compromised lately. Obviously our pediatrician wasn't open anymore so we took him to insta care. They did a strep test and checked his oxygen level all normal. the doctor came in and gave him a good exam and said he has hives. he asked the typical questions has he had a fever... yes five days ago of 105 almost had to be hospitialized. has he been on medication? Yes albuterol, a prescription cough syrup, and amoxicillin for his double ear infection. has he been on amoxicillin before? yes no reaction. have you tried new foods? no have you been anywhere outside? no we have been in our house for a week and a half. The doctor said because he has had rsv and his immune system isn't very strong that it could be caused by anything. REALLY? how crappy do I feel that something i did or didn't do caused my son to have this horrible hive outbreak. So he put sawyer on a prescription anit-histamine, cortozone cream, and an oral steriod. It started off as small bumps and a few hives and then in the morning he had a whole cluster of them all over his back, side, bum, legs, neck, eye lids, ears, under his chin, and by his mouth. it has been breaking my heart. He was up all night saying "ouch mama it hurts" I couldn't help me and it made me cry. so there we were two little cry babies! The doctor said hives can last one day or last 6 weeks. From how last night went we won't survive six weeks. So our cute friend cree came over today and helped braydon give sawyer a blessing. WE are so grateful for the priesthood and friends who honor it. We have so many great guys who we can call at anytime. I am thankful that we have modern medicnine to help my son feel better when he feels so crappy. I am aslo extremely grateful for issurance... seriously we would be broke if we didn't have it. We are starting a new week and hopefully our house will be sicko free. Cross your fingers.



this is how it started. small... and this freaked me out?


when we got up in the morning... so much worse

ouch mama it hurts!

it's worse in areas that have more heat like under his arms

you can kinda see the hives on his eye lids and face



poor guy just wants to lay down because it hurts to move. He walks on his heels because he has hives on his feet, ankles, and toes and it's hard to walk.

Some of the hives are healing and they are turning into bruises. The bruises were the first hives i noticed

small hives that started tonight on the backs of his legs... also a few bruises

He looks like a marble floor


Eating his quesadilla

My happy boy. Through it all even the tears he has tried so hard to be happy

He made himself a bed on the living room floor because it hurts to climb on the couch. He also lays with his arms up because it hurts to have them down because he gets hot. Get better soon buddy! We love you so much:)

7 comments:

Bayly said...

Oh my gosh that's so sad!! I hope he gets better soon! That looks miserable poor little guy!

Melissa said...

Holy Cow!!! I am so sorry! I bet he is so miserable! Let me know if there is anything we can do!

Brynn Snyder said...

Man you guys are having bad luck. Please let me know what I can do. For real... let me know what I can do.

Rachelle said...

those are some pretty nasty hives! I had the same thing happen with Eli. The first time he had them I freaked out! went to the doctor and everything. he didn't prescribe anything, he just said to wait it out. And they did go away after awhile (different time each time). Eli isn't allergic to strawberries, though I have noticed a connection to recurring hives to (funny that you mentioned it) strawberries. it may be because they weren't washed properly and be a reaction to fertilizers or pesticides. invest in some fruit cleaner (or make your own!) who knows. but I do feel for your little man, and you too momma! that is NO fun! totally tugs at your heart!

The Clarks said...

so sad!!! I hope he gets better soon!!

Erin Blake said...

oh erica I'm sorry!!!!

Holmes Family said...

Oh, Cuzy! I am so sorry. I love you and that little boy soooo much. We are sending prayers your way.